Monday, August 26, 2013

The Cookies Are Just a Metaphor

When I find myself in a pickle here, I try to handle it with grace, elegance and poise which are all different words that have the same meaning. Here's the thing, though. If the pickle is one those giant ones you'd find at a concession stand at sports games that the teenagers fish out with their bare hands, I handle el problema like a champ. However, if it's a mini gherkin situation, my panties get waded really tightly really quickly.

I was talking to Margaret (read previous post) the other day, and she said, "Sorry about the delayed response. I made some muffins. I think it went well." I was proud of her because baking muffins is an example of something that I find ludicrous, but I was also a bit jealous and resentful. I can't just wake up, decide I want muffins and make them. *Baked goods, as we know them in the States, don't exist here...I know...it's really hard for me.

Ask for chocolate cake, and you'll get an extremely dry dirt triangle. Cupcakes and muffins are similarly disappointing. Cookies don't exist here. They call these hard, blechy things galletas, but they're imposters. They ARE NOT galletas!

Correct me if you've heard something, but I don't think I'm up for any American patriot awards. Therefore, when I crave something from home, I try to scratch the itch because it doesn't happen that often, and today, I just wanted a damn chocolate chip cookie. I felt almost warm and fuzzy before the dread set in.

Because I can't just go buy one, I googled a recipe (yes, I know you have yours memorized).

1 cup butter, softened- I'll figure out how to do that not in a microwave. NBD.
1 cup white sugar- Our sugar is mixed with coffee grounds. That actually sounds more appealing.
1 cup brown sugar- Aaaannnnnd, here we go. It may as well say moon rocks.
2 eggs- They're unrefrigerated here which is a little off-putting, but everyone seems fine.   
2 teaspoons vanilla extract- Liquid gold and as difficult to find as Robin Thicke's appeal.
3 cups all-purpose flour- I have some because I made play dough with some students 3 months ago!
1 teaspoon baking soda- Would not happen if I searched for a thousand years.
2 teaspoons hot water- Is this real? Okay.
1/2 teaspoon salt- No, I will never measure salt.
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips- I was hoping these weren't an ingredient because I know I can't get them.
1 cup chopped walnuts- Duh and also, adults who don't like nuts are not adults.

I went to the store, something I don't like to do, and came back with individual packets of brown sugar for coffee, eggs, vanilla FLAVOR that cost 4 Euros, no baking soda because obviously and a chocolate bar with walnuts in it. Also, I found a woman's wallet there. I think they thought I stole it because everybody steals everybody's wallet here, so I just yelled, "No es mio!" and threw it at the cashier.

I converted the measurements using the only measurement tool I have which is a plastic cup I got at an outdoor house music party in the daytime called Piknik Electronik, so I knew it was **accurate.

While I was in the midst of opening 24 single serving brown sugars and worrying about what impact that would have on the environment, I stopped, slowly walked to the refrigerator and confirmed what I already knew. I was out of milk.

Mini gherkin situation.




*Bread is not included. The bread here is awesome.

**I thought it looked like too much. I went back and checked the recipe. It was for 4 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. I sent a friend in Germany chocolate chips so she could make cookies. It took 2-3 months for them to get there. Unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am Stella and i want to thank Dr.Henry olu for bringing back my ex boyfriend, we broke up for more than 8 month and he told me that he will never want to see me in his life again. i love him so much to the extend that i could not think of deating any man again, i was confused and depress due to the love i had for him.i did everything i could do to have him come back to me but all went in vain. so i decided to contact a spell caster, i did not believe in spell casting i just want to try it may be it would work out for me. i contacted Dr Henry olu for help,and he told me that he have to cast a love spell on him, i told him to do it. after 5 days my boyfriend called me and started to apologize for leaving me and also he told me that he still love me. i was very happy and i thank Dr Henry oul for helping get back my ex back to my hands. his spell is the greatest of all over the world, it was the love spell he cast on my ex that make him come back to me. all you ladies who want back their ex back i want you to contact Dr.Henry olu for the return of your ex boyfriend and also your ex girlfriend he can also cast any kind of spell you want him to cast for you. his contact email is agagulovespell@yahoo.com just try him and their will be a solution to your case.

    ReplyDelete