Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How To Not Speak the Language of the Country You've Lived in for a Year

First, I'd have a whole province of pissed off people after me if I wasn't clear that Barcelona is in Catalunya and in Catalunya, the people speak catalan. I don't speak catalan, nor do I speak castellano or what we in the United States call Spanish because we're from the United States.

Here's why and how (if you're interested in not learning something) in order of most severe culprit to least:

1. I don't try very hard. This goes for most things I do because I'm decent at a lot of things, excel in nothing and quit the things I'm not naturally good at (e.g. learning new languages) almost immediately.

2. I speak English all day. I know that's not a good excuse, but I'm an English teacher, I live with two British women and a French guy (like I'm going to study French! Pffff!), and most people here switch to English after my 30 second long question/greeting in castellano that should only take 5 seconds because they have things to do goddammit.

3. Facebook

4. I think I'm speaking it when I'm not. There's a scene in Julie and Julia (terrible film...only watch the Meryl and Stanley Tucci bits) where Julia's French tutor says, "*En francais s'il vous plait," and Child says, "Oh! I thought I was speaking French!" That's how I feel every day.

5. I don't get drunk enough. I speak castellano almost fluently when I'm drunk. Ask anyone.

Of course it ebbs and flows. I really make headway if I'm trying to seduce someone who doesn't speak English or when I'm taking courses that are literally called "Almost Free Spanish Classes." It's not like riding a bike (I'm really good at riding a bike! It came naturally!). It's something you have to practice every day, and you sucking is not because Catalan people are mean to you. It's your own damn fault.

*I'm sorry I didn't do the things. I'll figure out how to do that because I assume accents will be very important in this blog but maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment