Monday, January 18, 2021

The Things We Don't Want Back

Disclaimer: This post has been edited to delete the name of an abuser, rapist and racist. We don't want him back. 


For the first time in our lives, Jaime and I have really started to plan for the future, and the only reason we're doing this is because 2020-2021 won't allow it. 

Q: Should we sell the house after we pay it off or rent it to traveling nurses? 

A: Well, if it weren't for this doggone virus, we could convert a church in the Basque Country into a vacation home with a paella oven and skate park.  

Q: Should we have a kid? 

A: Well, why not? The community could help us raise it to be anti-racist, and they'd be at least trilingual. We'd dress it in non-binary clothing until it teaches us who they are, but alas, Covid. 

After 10 months of this, we're annoying even ourselves, so we've switched to planning what we will not return to even when it's safe, and that's much more fun. 

Concerts are pretty high on our list.

We came to this understanding after I told Jaime about my experience at a goth rock show when I was 16 having no way of knowing then that my future spouse was simultaneously performing trash metal concerts shirtless in Spain.

Still want us to have kids? 

I'd gone with my high school boyfriend who was imposing and a pretty good creep block, but realistically, what chance does an 18-year-old boy have at a concert that catered to Incels? 

That spooky rapist put on a fucking fabulous show, and I was really into it until the first time the crowd broke the front barricade. The barrier was fixed, but the crowd broke through again. After the third time, we saw a helicopter take off from behind the stage, and assuming their abusive nymph king was in it, the concert-goers started to riot. 

Being at the level of most every one else's armpit was suffocating and scary. My boyfriend was trying to block me from the worst of it, but he was also looking for a way out of the crowd. It was really the person behind me who was protecting me from the crushing sea of goth Midwesterners. 

In a quick letup of the chaos, I glanced back to see who'd been so thoughtful. 

It was Charles Manson. 

I am not kidding. Between his two crazy eyes was a swastika. Thank goodness it was Halloween. 

Anyway, I repeated versions of this experience for years getting drinks spilled on me, strangers' penises pressed against my back and even crowd surfing close enough to Billie Jo Armstrong to realize it was not worth it before doing it for another decade or so. But this time I swear I'm done. 


Jaime says this shirt-on photo is from one of 

his rock concerts and not from his trash metal days. 

Teenage Emma would not have had a chance in hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment