Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Night All My Dreams Came True

We were eating tacos tonight while Jaime was being a huge nerd talking about some kind of computer program he created by coding words and numbers to do groundbreaking psychological experiments or something, so I started to read the salsa jar.

My eyes drifted to the bottom where I learned that the salsa had been made in Frisco, Texas.

I was immediately sucked into a rainbow colored time vortex that planted me in The Better Cheddar (the gay friendly cheese store I worked at throughout college) circa 2006.

Now, before I begin, I want to swear to you that this was a real event that really occurred in my real life. One could also refer to it the greatest thing that has ever happened.

I was working a dead night shift with Joe and Mindy when a cowboy sauntered through the door. That alone won our usually elusive attention, as it was pretty rare to see a cowboy at the Country Club Plaza on a weeknight.

Joe got to him first, and the man asked if we sold salsa. What luck! We did!

He led him to our small selection of overly priced gourmet salsa. He stared at the salsa hesitantly. We stared at him expectantly.

He finally chose one and turned it in his hands.

"New York City!?" he exclaimed. Then nothing. Deadpan.

It had, in fact, been made in New York City.

He didn't purchase any salsa from us that night, and I doubt he ever returned. We did, however, pay him more respect than I knew we were capable of and waited for the door to close behind him before we collapsed on the floor struggling to breathe through the deepest laughter.

To this day, I do not know if the man was rehearsing for a role, making good on a lost bet or being paid by our boss for customer service control.

But I prefer to believe he was real.




Childhood  -Click on this link if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment